Recent Birdies for Kids Participants
- In 2004, a group of Australians who work in the golf industry in the Dallas area founded the Birdies for Kids fundraiser. We started the fundraiser as we all feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to work and live in the United States and simply wanted to do something to give back to the local community.
- The inaugural fundraiser was held at Preston Trail Golf Club in Dallas. The fundraiser consisted of seven Aussies each playing 72-holes, with the goal to make as many birdies and eagles as possible. We each solicited pledges from family, friends, club members and companies for every birdie and eagle that was made. Our goal for that day was to raise $14,000.00. Needless to say, the support from everyone far exceeded our expectations as we raised $47,806.00.
- The proceeds benefited the Northern Texas PGA Junior Golf Foundation Golf in Schools program and also the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Memorial Fund at the Medical Center of Plano.
- In 12 years, thanks to the generous support from thousands of people, we have raised $1,637,433 for various children’s charities in the Dallas area.
- After the tenth year, the format was modified, and in 2014 more than 30 golf professionals and 15 additional clubs paricipated in the fundraiser.
The 2016 fundraiser will be played on Monday, August 15 at Four Seasons Resort and Club (Cottonwood Valley Course). All proceeds will benefit the Northern Texas PGA Junior Golf Foundation's Growth of the Game initiatives, the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders at Children's Medical Center and other select children's charities.Photo caption L-R: Simon Buckle, Justin Barrick, Dean Larsson, Justin Thompson, Nick Griffin, Jeremy Langdale, Mark Harrison and Cameron McCormick